INDEPENDENT TESTING VALIDATES ALEXIUM’S CLEANSHELL™ CB TREATMENT AGAINST CHEMICAL WARFARE AGENTS
TESTS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED UNDER US AIR FORCE CONTRACT AGAINST LIVE SARIN, MUSTARD AND OTHER NERVE AGENTS
- Independent testing on live Chemical Warfare Agents (CWAs) confirms Alexium’s Cleanshell CB™ treatment on outer shell fabrics provides broad- spectrum chemical
- Validation of repellency to live chemical warfare agents marks a key technical
- Cleanshell CB provides significant enhancements over current US Department of Defense (DoD) JSLIST Chem/Bio fabric against certain
Perth, WA, and Greer, South Carolina -October 2nd, 2013- Alexium International Group Limited (Alexium) (ASX:AJX, AX:AJX, OTC QX:AXXIY) announced today that it has received significant positive results from testing of Cleanshell CB™ with live CWAs. Alexium’s Cleanshell CB™ repellency treatment provides a broad-spectrum chemical resistance and is targeted specifically to the treatment of the outershell fabric of Chem/Bio (CB) protection ensembles. These tests were performed at a US DoD sanctioned facility being one of the few independent test laboratories in the world that are certified for testing with live CWAs. This work was conducted as part of Alexium’s program for a current US DoD contract and as part of an ongoing collaboration with the US Air Force (Tyndall AFB).
From this testing, two critical insights have been gained about the Cleanshell CB technology:
- Cleanshell CB treated fabrics repelled all of the CWAs To quote from the independent testing institute, the Cleanshell CB materials “demonstrated an exceptional resistance to chemical agent application. Subjectively comparing these materials, the Alexium materials outperformed already fielded assets in terms of beading and repellency of chemical agent”; and
- CB materials also showed enhanced resistance to the harmful vapors of certain CWAs beyond the current DoD JSLIST Cleanshell CB treatments with and without Air Force-supplied added nanoparticles showed increased performance.
“This validation of the Cleanshell CB technology against live CWAs is a key milestone,” said Dr. Bob Brookins, Head of Research and Development for Alexium. “Future work on Cleanshell CB will now be focused on integrating this treatment with other components that make up a full integrated CB protection ensemble, including gas masks, gloves, shoes and helmets.” Cleanshell CB has also been optimized to provide excellent water and oil repellency as well as allowing for ease of movement in the field.
“We are very pleased with the clear and positive test results and are seeking commercial partnerships to team with partners for supplying next generation CB protection systems”, said Stefan Susta, Alexium’s Chief Operating Officer.
The Cleanshell CB™ treatment is applied via Alexium’s patented Reactive Surface Treatment (RST). RST uses microwave-based technology to apply sub-micron coatings to a wide range of substrates. The resulting nanoscopic coating may chemically bond to the substrate or simply form an intractable coating at the substrate surface. This flexibility allows a wide range of materials to be treated — many of which cannot be functionalized with a durable coating via other methods.
For more information visit: www.alexiuminternational.com
Chief Operating Officer
T: +1 864-908-6946
Chief Executive Officer
AUS: +61 432.412.663
US: +1 864.991.6687
AUS: +61 432.412.663
UK: +44 7447.560.30
U.S. R&D Center:
8 Distribution Court
Greer, SC 29650
T: +1 864.416.1060
F: +1 864.551.4555